|Photo borrowed from www.vehiclesoftheworld.blogspot.com|
Does anyone out there play spotto?
Does anyone else know what spotto is?
Does anyone know where it originated?
Coz I would like to go and methodically hit the spotto creator in the head with a bucket full of yellow match box cars, one little car at a time .... thwack ... (wait ten seconds) ... thwack ... (wait ten seconds) ... thwack ... (wait ten seconds) ... thwack ...
Spotto is a game played when travelling. It is quite a good family game when you're taking a long trip and need to keep the kids interested in the drive while taking in the surroundings. It definitely keeps everyone alert. It is a very annoying game if it is played every. single. time. you. get. in. the. car.
Basically the game is simple - if you see a yellow car you yell out SPOTTO and score a point. That simple. I'm not sure of the intricate rules of the original game, but in order to stop a car load of arguing we have had to create a few rules of our own. Our spotto rules are as follows:
- Any yellow vehicle with wheels and a motor is a spotto (so that includes buses, diggers, cars, motor bikes, ride on mowers, but excludes push bikes, box trailers, boats and prams. Although a yellow boat on a trailer is a contentious spotto as it does technically have a motor and wheels.)
- The vehicle has to be at least 50% yellow to qualify.
- Gold does not count as yellow.
- If there is controversy as to whether the yellow car in question is actually yellow then it is put to a vote and majority rules.
- A yellow car can not be spotto'ed more than once within the same trip (and for the sake of sanity there may need to be a new rule that on regular routes we can't keep spottoing the same car every time we drive past it whether it is the same trip or not).
- Yellow vehicles don't have to be moving, they can be parked, but they have to be visible (just because you know that family has a yellow car parked in their closed garage does not constitute a spotto).
- You can't just randomly yellow SPOTTO in anticipation that a yellow car might come around the corner, or hoping that in a packed car park a yellow car will eventually present itself. You have to actually see the spotto at the time it is yelled and others need to verify it's existence. Failing to produce the goods means a spotto point is taken off you.
- Green is green, and yellow is yellow. Lime green is not yellow. A green car is never a spotto, it is in fact a SNOTTO.
- Snotto's aren't worth as much as spottos.
And that's about the size of Spotto. Aren't you glad I shared that with you?!
You've got to be careful of it. It sneaks up on you even when the kids aren't in the car which is the bit that drives me mental. I am constantly on the look out for yellow cars even when alone. And yes, I do yell out SPOTTO the moment I see one.
Which brings me to the next question - is a spotto actually a spotto if there is no one around to hear it?