|Need a chest freezer? You can get this one from the Good Guys.|
We have a Feral Freezer.
One of us managed to accidentally turn off the chest Freezer before we went to the coast last Wednesday.
Our Freezer is located in the laundry where the power points are half way up the wall in plain sight next to the power points to the washing machine, dryer and iron. That's the First mistake. It makes it too easy to accidentally turn it off. Mind you I have taped the power point over with masking tape and put a big label on the plug saying "DO NOT TURN OFF - FREEZER" but it seems people still ignore my warnings and head straight for the switch. Time to get a better system.
We returned from the coast on Sunday but it took until yesterday morning to notice there was a problem.
I was home alone doing the washing and noticed that the iron was turned on and the Freezer was turned off. That right there is enough to give a person the F*&!ity F*&!its. I figured the hubster had done it while ironing his shirt that morning so I switched it back on and opened the lid of the Freezer to see how much it had defrosted and ....
Call the Feds!
Smelt like death.
I honestly thought I was going to find a human body.
Rotting meat raced up my nostrils and planted itself there for the rest of the day. You know those dead kangaroos you drive past? They've got nothing on what was happening in my laundry yesterday morning.
Needless to say I slammed down the lid, locked the laundry door and ditched the washing. I then lit a scented candle outside the laundry in what may have looked like a vigil to the animals who had lost their lives.
So now we're in the process of having to dispose of around 20kg of meat in 38 degree heat.
It's enough to turn this girl veggo.
Here's what I'll be doing to clean out my rotten freezer:
- Turn the freezer back on and leave it for a day or two to refreeze all the meat. It reduces the smell and makes the meat easier to deal with. There's no way I'll be handling squishy rotting animal flesh.
- Empty the frozen meat into bins on garbage collection day.
- Once it's empty turn it back off and mop up any excess water.
- If the smell is still incredibly bad I'll be putting some Vicks under my nostrils so I can minimise the gagging
- Wash the inside of the freezer with soap and water.
- Wash the inside of the freezer with vinegar
- Wash the inside of the freezer with vanilla
- Place a few boxes of open bicarbonate of soda into the freezer to absorb any remaining odours.
- Wash the inside of the freezer with hospital grade bleach.
- If it still smells, throw it away and buy a new one.
I tell you what I won't be doing.
I won't be eating steak.
Tell me, have you ever had a Feral Freezer?
Has your house smelt like death?
Any tips on how to deal with it?